The world of ballet is full of dancers who dream of making a living from their passion for the art form. But in truth, professional ballet dancing is a cut-throat industry where talent is analysed with a fine-tooth comb and anything less than perfection is rarely tolerated. The odds of actually “making it” in the ballet industry with a major dance company such as the New York City Ballet or the Bolshoi Ballet are very slim, but there are smaller companies around the world that do their best to support their dancers.
With the physical and mental demands and time-intensive nature of ballet training, serious dancers must be employed on a full-time salary. A company’s investment in their dancers can certainly be worth it, because when a professional dance group has a strong reputation, tickets can be sold for major profit. The 05 Richest Ballet Dancers of 2016.
Nina Ananiashvili is a Georgian ballerina and artistic director of the State Ballet of Georgia.
- Earning : $30,000 per performance
- Born: March 28, 1963 (age 50), Tbilisi, Georgia
- Spouse: Grigol Vashadze (m. 1988)
- Education: Moscow State Academy of Choreography
- Movies: To the Limit: IMAX, Don Quixote: The State Perm Ballet, more
- Children: Helen Vashadze, Nodar Vashadze
- Parents: Gedevan Ananiashvili, Leah Gogolashvili
Sylvie Guillem is a French ballet dancer. Guillem was the top-ranking female dancer with the Paris Opera Ballet from 1984 to 1989, before becoming a principal guest artist with the Royal Ballet in London.
- Earning : $850,000 + per year
- Born: February 25, 1965 (age 48), Paris, France
- Education: Paris Opera Ballet
- Movies: Rudolf Nureyev: A Documentary, The Paris Opera Ballet: Seven Ballets, Yvette Chauvire: A Star For Example
- Awards: Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Dance Production
- Nominations: Laurence Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance
Benjamin Millepied is a French dancer and choreographer, perhaps most widely known for his work in the movie Black Swan which he starred in and choreographed.
- Net Worth: $900,000
- Born: June 10, 1977 (age 36), Bordeaux, France
- Height: 1.78 m
- Spouse: Natalie Portman (m. 2012)
- Children: Aleph Portman-Millepied
- Parents: Catherine Millepied-Flory, Denys Millepied
- Movies: Black Swan, Barbie in the Nutcracker, Time Doesn’t Stand Still
Rudolf Khametovich Nureyev was a Soviet-born dancer of ballet and modern dance, one of the most celebrated of the 20th century.
- Earning: $7.9 Million*
- Born: March 17, 1938, Irkutsk, Russia
- Died: January 6, 1993, Levallois-Perret, France
- Height: 1.73 m
- Movies and TV shows: Valentino, Exposed, Romeo and Juliet, more
- Nationality: British, Russian, Austrian
- Education: Vaganova Ballet Academy, Mariinsky Ballet
Mikhail Nikolaevich Baryshnikov, nicknamed “Misha”, is a Russian dancer, choreographer, and actor, often cited alongside Vaslav Nijinsky and Rudolf Nureyev as one of the greatest ballet dancers in history.
- Net Worth: $45 Million
- Born: January 27, 1948 (age 65), Riga, Latvia
- Height: 1.68 m
- Partner: Lisa Rinehart
- Children: Alexandra Lange Baryshnikova, more
- Books: The Swan Prince: A Fairy Tale, Because , Baryshnikov’s Nutcracker