A player’s annual salary is what he is making that particular season whereas the cap hit is the player’s salary averaged out based on how many years his contract is worth. Example: John Do has a 2 year deal, worth $5 million and $6 million per season. The cap hit would be $5.5 million. Things are so simple when explained properly, aren’t they, Try to get Bob Mckenzie to explain the same thing and your head will spin, but I digress.
There is also such a thing as “cap manipulation” that goes on in the NHL but is no longer as extreme since New Jersey’s Lou Lomoriello ruined the fun for everyone. He attempted to sign star winger Ilya Kovalchuk to a 17 year, $102 million dollar contract which had Kovalchuk earning a meager $550,000 in the last 5 years of the contract, even though he had no intention of playing that long. The term and money was stretched out in order to ensure a lower annual cap hit, until Gary Bettman promptly rejected the deal.
Top 10 Highest Paid NHL Captains for the 2016 Season
Shea Weber :-
Shea Michael Weber is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who currently serves as captain of the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League. He is an NHL All-Star and Olympic gold medalist.Shea Weber is a premier defenseman in the NHL and has worn the “C” for Nashville since 2010. He doesn’t really have a flaw in his game and possesses arguably the hardest and most accurate shot in the game.
His salary is insane, but there are reasons for the insanity. When Ryan Suter decided to sign with Minnesota, Weber basically had GM David Poile handcuffed and had the ability to “name his price”. In fact, his salary is so insane that he can’t even claim the full amount, as the leagues salary cap went down, and the highest a player can earn is $12,860,000.
- Salary: 14 million USD
- Endorsements: $100,000
- Born: August 14, 1985 (age 28), Sicamous, Canada
- Spouse: Bailey Weber
- Current teams: Nashville Predators (#6 / Defenseman), Canadian National Men’s Hockey Team (#6 / Defenseman)
- Siblings: Brandon Weber
- Parents: James Weber, Tracy Weber
Sidney Crosby :-
Sidney Patrick Crosby is a Canadian professional ice hockey player who currently serves as captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.The world’s best player has been the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins since 2007. Pretty amazing to think that a 19 year old kid was in charge of leading vets that were in their mid-thirties.
Even though Sid “The Kid” (should we call him Sid “The Adult” now?) has been ravaged by injuries the past three seasons, he has had a spectacular career and appears to be on the right track now, in terms of being injury free. There is quite the disparity between his annual salary and the cap hit. As mentioned above, Sid locked in a lot of money in the early stages of his contract and took less on the back-end, which averages out to $8,700,000.
- Salary: 7.5 million USD
- Net Worth :- $20 million
- Born: August 7, 1987 (age 26), Halifax Regional Municipality, Canada
- Nationality: Canadian
- Siblings: Taylor Crosby
- Current teams: Canadian National Men’s Hockey Team (#87 / Forward), Pittsburgh Penguins (#87 / Centerman)
- Parents: Trina Forbes-Crosby, Troy Crosby
Eric Staal :-
Eric Craig Staal is a Canadian ice hockey player and the captain of the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League.It is hard to argue with the idea that Eric Staal may be a tad overrated. His production is constantly going down yet his salary is going up. To put it in perspective, Staal is the 5th highest paid player in the league, but is he one of the top 5 players in the league? Team Canada didn’t even think he was in the top 14 forwards for their country.
- Salary: 9.25 million USD
- Endorsements: $250,000
- Born: October 29, 1984 (age 29), Thunder Bay, Canada
- Spouse: Tanya Staal (m. 2007)
- Siblings: Jordan Staal, Marc Staal, Jared Staal
- Current teams: Canadian National Men’s Hockey Team (#12 / Forward), Carolina Hurricanes (#12 / Centerman)
- Children: Levi John Staal , Parker Lucas Staal
Alexander Ovechkin :-
Alexander Mikhailovich Ovechkin is a Russian professional ice hockey winger and captain of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League.It’s tough to assess Alex Ovechkin. On one hand, he’s experienced a career resurgence recently as he seems poised to capture his second straight “Rocket” Richard Trophy. On the other hand, other than a World Championship, he’s never won anything. His career has been littered with constant early post-season and Olympic exits. As much as they won’t admit it this type of deception takes its toll on an athlete.
- Salary: 9 million USD
- Endorsements: $2.5 million
- Born: September 17, 1985 (age 28), Moscow, Russia
- Height: 1.88 m
- Parents: Mikhail Ovechkin, Tatyana Ovechkina
- Current teams: Russian National Ice Hockey Team (#8 / Forward), Washington Capitals (#8 / Right wing)
- Siblings: Mikhael Ovechkin, Sergei Ovechkin
Ryan Getzlaf :-
Ryan Getzlaf is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre who currently serves as captain of the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League.Ryan Getzlaf strikes me as a good ol’ Canadian boy you’d spot in a bar that may get a little rambunctious after a few too many beers. Getzlaf has worn the “C” for Anaheim since 2010 and has done an admirable job. They are currently enjoying a season reminiscent to when they won the Stanley Cup in 2007, and this team may actually be stronger. Power forwards are the type of players that are sought after by all 30 teams because they are a rare breed.
- Salary: 6.5 million USD
- Born: May 10, 1985 (age 28), Regina, Canada
- Spouse: Paige Getzlaf (m. 2010)
- Siblings: Chris Getzlaf
- Current teams: Anaheim Ducks (#15 / Centerman), Canadian National Men’s Hockey Team (#15 / Forward)
- Children: Ryder Getzlaf, Gavin Getzlaf
Zdeno Chara :-
Zdeno Chara is a Slovak professional ice hockey defenseman who currently serves as captain of the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League. He won the James Norris Memorial Trophy while playing for the Bruins in 2008–09.Big Z has held the “C” since 2006, to say that he’s had some success as the Bruins captain would be an understatement.
He’s won a Stanley cup, been to two finals and won a Norris trophy for the 2008-09 season. $8 million sounds steep but the fact of the matter is there has never been a player in the league with his physical tools. He displays a combination of size, skill, leadership and most of all, nastiness. Chris Pronger would be the only comparable that comes to mind but he was a bit too nasty as he crossed the line many times in his career.
- Salary: 8 million USD
- Born: March 18, 1977 (age 36), Tren?ín, Slovakia
- Height: 2.06 m
- Nationality: Slovak
- Spouse: Tatiana Biskupicova (m. 2007)
- Current teams: Boston Bruins (#33 / Defenseman), Slovak Men’s National Ice Hockey Team (#33 / Defenseman)
Henrik Zetterberg :-
Henrik Zetterberg is a Swedish professional ice hockey centre/left wing and captain of the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League.’s really hard to feel bad for a guy making $7,500,000 to play hockey, but I kind of do for Henrik Zetterberg. This is his second year as captain of the Wings but his predecessor was Niklas Lidstrom. Lidstrom held onto the “C” for 8 years and was a role model for all the other captains in the league. He backed it up on the ice, amassing three Norris trophies and was one of the few players in the league that nobody had a bad word to say about.
- Salary: 7.5 million USD
- Born: October 9, 1980 (age 33), Njurunda, Sweden
- Career start: 1997
- Spouse: Emma Andersson (m. 2010)
- Current teams: Detroit Red Wings (#40 / Left Wing), Swedish National Men’s Ice Hockey Team (#40 / Centerman)
- Parents: Ulla Zetterberg, Goran Zetterberg
Mikko Koivu :-
Mikko Sakari Koivu is a Finnish professional ice hockey center who currently serves as captain of the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League.The Wild’s forward has been the captain since 2009. Don’t expect him to shed the “C” or get traded anytime soon. His older brother Saku was the second longest serving captain in Montreal Canadiens’ history, trailing only Jean Beliveau. The brother’s share many of the same characteristics in terms of their leadership. They both are calming influences in the room but will step-up when something needs to be said. He does however carry a huge salary considering he has 35 points in 44 games with only 8 goals.
- Salary: 7.29 million USD
- Born: March 12, 1983 (age 30), Turku, Finland
- Nationality: Finnish
- Siblings: Saku Koivu
- Current teams: Minnesota Wild (#9 / Centerman), Finnish National Men’s Ice Hockey Team (#9 / Forward)
- Parents: Jukka Koivu, Tuire Koivu
Jonathan Toews :-
Jonathan Bryan Toews is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre who currently serves as captain of the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League. Toews was selected by the Blackhawks with the third overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.Jonathan Toews is only 25, but has hald the Chicago Blackhawks captaincy since 2008. He is one of the most revered captains in the league. He is so revered in fact, that before the Olympics started, Sidney Crosby basically asked Toews if he was “okay” with him wearing the “C”. A very classy move by Crosby as even though he is the best player in the game and was asked by Mike Babcock to lead the national team, he still checked with Toews. All this to say, Toews is a good freaking captain.
- Salary: 6 million USD
- Born: April 29, 1988 (age 25), Winnipeg, Canada
- Nationality: Canadian
- Siblings: David Toews
- Current teams: Canadian National Men’s Hockey Team (#16 / Forward), Chicago Blackhawks (#19 / Centerman)
- Parents: Bryan Toews, Andree Gilbert
Martin St. Louis :-
Martin St. Louis is a Canadian professional ice hockey right winger and captain for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League.Martin St. Louis just received the C this season and is doing a more than formidable job at putting up points and setting an example for his teammates as The Lightning are having a great season. Collectively, nobody has put up as many points at St. Louis in the past 2 seasons and remarkably at 38 years old, is showing no signs of slowing down. Hopefully Mike Babcock realizes this and throws St. Louis some more ice time in Sochi.
- Salary :- $6,500,000
- Born: June 18, 1975 (age 38), Laval, Canada
- Height: 1.73 m
- Weight: 80 kg
- Spouse: Heather Caragol
- Current team: Tampa Bay Lightning (#26 / Right wing)