Writing is a competitive cut-throat industry where only the best or the most well-publicized succeed. Putting your name to a piece whether fiction or nonfiction is a lasting legacy for better or worse. With the emerging world of self publishing though there are more writers than ever diffusing their work worldwide, but writers still struggle to get known in the notoriously saturated market of literary publishing. But if you’re a celebrity, it seems that you’re already a shoe-in for getting picked up by a major publisher.
A celebrity already has a pre-existing audience, and many of these fans will doubtless buy the book to learn more about their favorite celebrity. Even ‘trolls’ and ‘haters’ might shell out the cash for a celebrity’s book, simply out of curiosity or morbid fascination. If a celebrity can actually write a good story or can coherently retell important events in their life in an interesting manner – even better. A list of some of the very richest celebrities who branched out into the publishing world. Some of these stars have had remarkable success as recognized authors – and some have flopped spectacularly. It’s worth noting, of course, that the bulk of these celebs’ net worth certainly didn’t come from their literary endeavors…
Top 10 Richest Celebrities Who Became Authors 2016
Madonna Louise Ciccone is an American singer-songwriter, actress, author, director, entrepreneur and philanthropist. Madonna is probably one of the most iconic celebrities of our generation. We all know Madonna has earned her place in the entertainment industry as one of the most successful female singers and actresses, but what you might not know is that she published her first book in 1992, which was a coffee table book entitled, SEX. In 2003, she published her first children’s book called, The English Roses it was as one of the most successful picture books in Britain coming in second to Harry Potter.
- Net Worth :- $650 Million
- Born: August 16, 1958 (age 55), Bay City, Michigan, United States
- Children: Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon, Rocco Ritchie, David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie, Mercy James
- Spouse: Guy Ritchie (m. 2000–2008), Sean Penn (m. 1985–1989)
- Movies: W.E., Body of Evidence, Swept Away, Evita, more
Miley Cyrus :-
Miley Ray Cyrus is an American actress and recording artist. The daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, she held minor roles in the television series Doc and the film Big Fish in her childhood.Before she cut her hair and started sticking out her tongue, before she started twerking, before she shed her clothes for “Wrecking Ball”, Miley was best known as Hannah Montana and the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus.
In 2009, while she was still with Disney, Cyrus penned her very own autobiography geared towards her “Hannah Montana” fan base called Miles To Go. Believe it or not, the book got surprisingly positive reviews from critics and readers. Given her new style and turn in her career, people seem to be gravitating towards this book to get a glimpse of Miley before she shed her Disney persona.
- Net Worth :- $150 Million
- Born: November 23, 1992 (age 21), Nashville, Tennessee, United States
- Parents: Tish Cyrus, Billy Ray Cyrus
- Siblings: Noah Cyrus, Trace Cyrus, Christopher Cody, Braison Cyrus, Brandi Glenn Cyrus
- Movies and TV shows: Hannah Montana: The Movie, more
Justin Bieber :-
Justin Drew Bieber is a Canadian pop musician, actor, and singer-songwriter. Bieber was discovered in 2008 by American talent manager Scooter Braun, who came across Bieber’s videos on YouTube and later became his manager. Another celebrity-turned-author is the drag racing wannabe bad boy, Justin Bieber. Believe it or not, he’s written not just one, not two, but three books in his career.
His first book, Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever, was published in 2010, his second book Never Say Never was published in 2011, and his third and most recent book Justin Bieber: Just Getting Started, was published in 2012. With Bieber’s legion of fans known as “beliebers”, there’s no doubt that these books sold well on an international scale. Given the recent events of his life, we’ll probably see more books from him in the future so the world can know his side.
- Net Worth :- $130 Million
- Born: March 1, 1994 (age 19), London, Canada
- Height: 1.70 m
- Parents: Pattie Mallette, Jeremy Bieber
- Movies: Justin Bieber: Never Say Never
Paris Hilton :-
Paris Whitney Hilton is an American socialite, actress and entertainer. She is the great granddaughter of Conrad Hilton the founder of Hilton Hotels. Paris Hilton is a published author. Her book, Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose, is now a bargain book and seems to be out of print. The book received terrible reviews, failing in its mission to give the world a different perspective of how the media portrays her.
It’s less than 200 pages and has lots of pictures and, perhaps unsurprisingly, wasn’t enough to please critics and readers. We imagine that Hilton didn’t really feel the financial failure of the book: Perhaps she wasn’t even very deeply involved in writing the book at all, as there’s been speculation that it was penned by a ghostwriter.
- Net Worth :- $100 Million
- Born: February 17, 1981 (age 33), New York City, New York, United States
- Height: 1.73 m
- Siblings: Nicky Hilton, Conrad Hughes Hilton, Barron Hilton II
- Parents: Richard Hilton, Kathy Hilton
Tyra Banks :-
Tyra Lynne Banks (born December 4, 1973) is an American television personality, producer, author, actress and former model. She first became famous as a model, appearing twice on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and working for Victoria’s Secret as one of their original Angels. Banks is the creator and host of the UPN/The CW reality television show America’s Next Top Model, co-creator of True Beauty, and was the host of her own talk show, The Tyra Banks Show.Tyra Banks is a New York Times bestselling author with her book, Modelland, aimed at young readers.
The main character is named Tookie De La Creme, and the book is about Tookie diving into the world of modeling. But Modelland wasn’t Banks’ first attempt at writing. In 1998, she published a book called Tyra’s Beauty Inside & Out, which had a far better critical reception than Modelland but not as much commerical success.
- Net Worth :- $90 Million
- Born: December 4, 1973 (age 40), Inglewood, California, United States
- Height: 1.78 m
- Parents: Carolyn London, Donald Banks
- Education: Harvard Business School (2011), more
- Siblings: Devin Banks
Jon Stewart :-
Jon Stewart is an American political satirist, writer, director, television host, actor, media critic, and stand-up comedian. He is the host of The Daily Show, a satirical news program that airs on Comedy Central.Jon Stewart is the host of “The Daily Show”, a satirical news program that also airs on Comedy Central along with “The Colbert Report”.
Stewart is regarded as one of the most relevant voices today when it comes to not only comedy, but politics. His publishing debut was in 1998 with his book Naked Pictures of Famous People which is about well you can guess. Actually, don’t get too excited it’s not full of pictures of naked celebrities, but instead a collection of essays about politics and “naked truths” about pop culture, all written in a comedic tone.
- Net Worth :- $80 Million
- Born: November 28, 1962 (age 51), New York City, New York, United States
- Height: 1.69 m
- Spouse: Tracey McShane (m. 2000)
- Education: College of William and Mary (1984), Lawrence High School (1980)
- Books: America (The Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction, more
Tina Fey :-
Elizabeth Stamatina “Tina” Fey ( born May 18, 1970) is an American actress, comedian, writer and producer, known for her work on the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live (SNL, 1997–2006), the critically acclaimed NBC comedy series 30 Rock (2006–2013), and such films as Mean Girls (2004), Baby Mama (2008), Date Night (2010), and Admission (2013). Tina Fey published her first book, Bossypants. The book is her autobiography and provides a comedic (of course) account of life growing up in Pennsylvania and breaking into Hollywood. If you’re an avid follower of Fey’s career, you can read the book to find out her thoughts and experiences as she juggled her family, personal life, and her career.
- Net Worth :- $45 Million
- Born: May 18, 1970 (age 43), Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, United States
- Height: 1.64 m
- Spouse: Jeff Richmond (m. 2001)
- Children: Penelope Athena Richmond, Alice Zenobia Richmond
- Books: Bossypants
Stephen Colbert :-
Stephen Tyrone Colbert is an American political satirist, writer, comedian, television host, and actor. Stephen Colbert is best known for his political satire on Comedy Central, but he is also a very accomplished book author and comic book writer. The Emmy nominated television host has written three books, with his first being published in 2009 and the other two published in 2012.
- Net Worth :- $45 Million
- Born: May 13, 1964 (age 49), Washington, D.C., United States
- Spouse: Evelyn McGee-Colbert (m. 1993)
- Books: America Again: Re-becoming The Greatness We Never Weren’t, more
- Parents: James William Colbert, Jr., Lorna Colbert
- Children: John Colbert, Madeleine Colbert, Peter Colbert
Chelsea Handler :-
Chelsea Joy Handler is an American comedian, actress, author, television host, writer and producer. She hosts a late-night talk show called Chelsea Lately, on E!.Chelsea Handler is quite the accomplished author with bestsellers sprinkled among her 5 published works, with a sixth book to be released this March called Uganda Be Kidding Me.
Her best-known bestseller, My Horizontal Life, is a collection of her stand up acts and has received very positive reviews from critics and readers alike. Given her wide audience from her television programming and appearances among different networks, Handler is able to get her books a lot of exposure, which is likely why her books are bestsellers along with entertaining writing.
- Net Worth :- $25 Million
- Born: February 25, 1975 (age 39), Livingston, New Jersey, United States
- Height: 1.68 m
- Books: My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, more
- Parents: Melvin Handler, Rita Handler
- Siblings: Shoshanna Handler, Roy Handler, Chet Handler, Glen Handler, Sydney Handler
James Franco :-
James Edward Franco (born April 19, 1978) is an American actor, director, screenwriter, producer, teacher and author. His first prominent role was a lead part, “Daniel Desario”, on the short-lived cult hit television program Freaks and Geeks; he later achieved recognition for playing the title character in the TV biographical film James Dean (2001), for which he was awarded a Golden Globe Award, and for playing Harry Osborn in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy (2002–2007).James Franco seems is a celebrity who wears many hats, from art to acting to academia to writing.
Instead of penning something explicitly autobiographical like most of the celeb ‘authors’ on our list, Franco started his writing career with a book about the little suburb where he grew up in a book called, Palo Alto. The book is a collection of stories about a group of teenagers and their struggles with friends, families, schools, and just living life in general. Written in an ominous voice, Franco’s book received average ratings, not spectacular, but enough to maintain his street cred among the literati.
- Net Worth :- $22 Million
- Born: April 19, 1978 (age 35), Palo Alto, California, United States
- Siblings: Dave Franco, Tom Franco
- Awards: Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Cast, more
- Education: Columbia University School of the Arts (2010), more
- Books: Palo Alto, Actors Anonymous, A California Childhood, more