The World’s Top 10 Richest Internet Billionaires 2016
Because we all use Google, Facebook, Youtube, Gmail, Spotify, and a multitude of other sites for free, there’s a valid confusion amongst some people regarding the mammoth amounts of money involved when these websites change hands. Just to get a general idea of the money that our clicking generates for these websites and their creators, here are a few concrete numbers: Facebook is now valued at $135bn and bought in revenues of $7.87bn in 2013. Spotify’s latest estimated worth is ‘north of $4bn’, and Google’s market value at the end of 2016 was around $350 billion.
Given these numbers it’s unsurprising that acquisitions (or offers of acquisitions) often run into the billions of dollars. Most recently the business world was left stunned after Snapchat’s 22 year-old CEO Evan Spiegel turned down a $3bn offer from Facebook for his two year-old messaging service which was yet to make a profit.But Spiegel wasn’t the first to turn down a jaw-dropping amount of money: when Facebook was three years old Zuckerberg turned down $1bn from Tumblr, and when YouTube was only a mere year old it was acquired by Google for $1.6bn. In 2009, Microsoft bought Skype for an astounding $8.5bn.
Jeffrey Preston “Jeff” Bezos (born January 12, 1964) is an American Internet entrepreneur and investor. He is a technology entrepreneur who has played a key role in the growth of e-commerceas the founder and CEO of Amazon.com, an online merchant of books and later of a wide variety of products. Under his guidance, Amazon.com became the largest retailer on the World Wide Web and a top model for Internet sales. In 2013, Bezos purchased The Washington Post newspaper.
- Net Worth : $35.6 Billion
- Born: January 12, 1964 (age 50), Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
- Nationality: American
- Spouse: Mackenzie Bezos (m. 1993)
- Parents: Ted Jorgensen, Jacklyn Bezos, Miguel Bezos
- Education: Princeton University (1986), River Oaks Elementary School, Miami Palmetto High School
Lawrence “Larry” Page is an American computer scientist and Internet entrepreneur who is the co-founder of Google, alongside Sergey Brin. On April 4, 2011, Page succeeded Eric Schmidt as the chief executive officer of Google.
- Net Worth : $31.3 Billion
- Born: March 26, 1973 (age 40), East Lansing, Michigan, United States
- Spouse: Lucinda Southworth (m. 2007)
- Awards: Marconi Prize, TR100
- Education: East Lansing High School (1987–1991), more
- Siblings: Carl Victor Page, Jr.
- Parents: Carl Victor Page, Gloria Page
Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin is an American computer scientist and Internet entrepreneur who, with Larry Page, co-founded Google, one of the most profitable Internet companies. As of 2013, his personal wealth was estimated to be $24.4 billion.
- Net Worth : $31 Billion
- Born: August 21, 1973 (age 40), Moscow, Russia
- Full name: Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin
- Height: 1.73 m
- Spouse: Anne Wojcicki (m. 2007)
- Children: Benji Wojin
- Education: Stanford University (1995), more
Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is an American computer programmer and Internet entrepreneur. He is best known as one of five co-founders of the social networking website Facebook.
- Net Worth : $25.8 Billion
- Born: May 14, 1984 (age 29), White Plains, New York, United States
- Height: 1.75 m
- Spouse: Priscilla Chan (m. 2012)
- Parents: Karen Zuckerberg, Edward Zuckerberg
- Education: Phillips Exeter Academy (2000–2002), Ardsley High School (1998–2000), Harvard University, Mercy College
- Siblings: Randi Zuckerberg, Donna Zuckerberg, Arielle Zuckerberg
Masayoshi Son is a Japanese businessman and the founder and current chief executive officer of SoftBank, the chief executive officer of SoftBank Mobile, and current chairman of Sprint Corporation.
- Net Worth : $9.1 Billion
- Born: August 11, 1957 (age 56), Tosu, Saga Prefecture, Japan
- Education: University of California, Berkeley
Robin Li is a Chinese Internet entrepreneur. He is the co-founder of a China search engine Baidu and is ranked as the richest man in mainland China with a net worth of US $12.231 billion as of December 2013.
- Net Worth : $12.2 Billion
- Born: November 17, 1968 (age 45), Yangquan, China
- Spouse: Dongmin Ma (m. 1995)
- Education: Peking University, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Eric Emerson Schmidt is an American software engineer, businessman, and the executive chairman of Google. In 2013, Forbes ranked Schmidt as the 138th-richest person in the world, with an estimated wealth of $8.3 billion.
- Net Worth : $9.6 Billion
- Born: April 27, 1955 (age 58), Washington, D.C., United States
- Spouse: Wendy Schmidt (m. 1980)
- Books: The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business
- Children: Allison Schmidt, Sophie Schmidt
- Education: University of California, Berkeley (1982), more
- Parents: Eleanor Schmidt, Wilson Schmidt
Ma Huateng, also known as Pony Ma, is a Chinese entrepreneur who founded Tencent Inc., one of the largest internet companies in China. In 2007 Time magazine called him one of the world’s most influential people.
- Net Worth : $10.2 Billion
- Born: October 29, 1971 (age 42), Chaoyang, China
- Education: Shenzhen University
Pierre Morad Omidyar is a French-born Iranian American entrepreneur and philanthropist, who is the founder and chairman of the eBay auction site. He became a billionaire at the age of 31 with eBay’s 1998 Initial Public Offering.
- Net Worth : $8.8 Billion
- Born: June 21, 1967 (age 46), Paris, France
- Spouse: Pamela Kerr
- Parents: Elahe Mir-Djalali Omidyar
- Education: Tufts University (1988), St. Andrew’s Episcopal School
- Nationality: American, Iranian
Hiroshi Mikitani is a Japanese businessman. He is the co-founder and CEO of Rakuten.
- Net Worth : $6.4 billion
- Born: March 11, 1963 (age 50), Kobe, Hy?go Prefecture, Japan
- Education: Hitotsubashi University, Harvard University