Africa has always produced some of the finest footballers of different generations, from Roger Mila to Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto’o to Michael Essien and Yaya Toure. These players have graced the European football with africa flair and power and most of the big clubs send their scouts in the African cup of Nations to find some gems who might light up european leagues and Champions League. Africa has always produced some of the finest footballers of different generations, from Roger Mila to Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto’o to Michael Essien and Yaya Toure.
These players have graced the European football with Africa flair and power and most of the big clubs send their scouts in the African cup of Nations to find some gems who might light up european leagues and Champions League. At the beginning of this year we had opportunity to watch Africa Cup of Nations where Nigera won Burkina Faso in final and showed great overall performance. African football players can compete with other highest paid football stars all over the world. One of the main benefits african players can bring is strong desire to win. Especially Samuel Eto’o, Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure showed their will and reached some remarkable achivements in European football club competitions.
Top 10 Highest Paid African Football Players 2016
Yaya Toure :- Man City
- Yearly Income :- €13.5M
- Weekly Income :- €250,000
Gnegneri Yaya Touré (born 13 May 1983), known as Yaya Toure, is an Ivorian footballer who plays as a midfielder for Manchester City and the Ivory Coast national team.Toure is renowned for combining great vision, passing ability, and physical power with technique. A versatile player, he aspired to be a striker during his youthand has played centre back, including for FC Barcelona in the 2009 UEFA Champions League Final.
He frequently plays as a box-to-box midfielder for club and country and often switches from defensive and offensive positions throughout matches. Touré began his playing career at Ivorian club ASEC Mimosas, where he made his debut aged 18. He was voted African Footballer of the Year for 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Born: May 13, 1983 (age 30), Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire
- Height: 1.88 m
- Spouse: Gineba Toure
- Siblings: Kolo Toure, Ibrahim Toure
- Current teams: Manchester City F.C. (#42 / Midfielder), Ivory Coast national football team (Midfielder)
Didier Drogba :- Galatasaray
- Yearly Income :- €10.9M
- Weekly Income :- €150,000
Didier Yves Drogba Tebily (born 11 March 1978) is an Ivorian footballer who plays as a forward for Galatasaray in the Super Lig. He is the captain and all-time top scorer of the Côte d’Ivoire national football team. He is best known for his career at Chelsea, for whom he scored more goals than any other foreign player and is currently the club’s fourth highest goal scorer of all time.
In October 2012, he was voted by Chelsea supporters as the club’s greatest ever player. His key attributes include his physical strength, ability in the air, and his ability to retain possession of the ball.
- Born: March 11, 1978 (age 36), Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- Spouse: Diakite Lalla (m. 2011)
- Salary: 4 million EUR (2014)
- Current teams: Ivory Coast national football team (Forward), Galatasaray S.K. (#11 / Forward)
- Nationality: Ivorian, French
- Children: Isaac Drogba, Iman Drogba, Kieran Drogba
Emmanuel Adebayor :- Tottenham
- Yearly Income :- €8M
- Weekly Income :- €120,000
Sheyi Emmanuel Adebayor (born 26 February 1984), known as Emmanuel Adebayor, is a Togolese footballer who plays as a forward for Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Togo national team. Adebayor previously played for Metz, Monaco, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Manchester City. He was voted African Footballer of the Year for 2008.
Adebayor represented the Togo national football team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, the country’s début, and to date only, appearance at the World Cup. In January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo team’s bus came under gunfire on the way to the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, after which he retired from national team duty.
- Born: February 26, 1984 (age 30), Lomé, Togo
- Nationality: Togolese
- Height: 1.90 m
- Parents: Hajia Adebayor
- Current teams: Togo national football team (Forward), Tottenham Hotspur F.C. (#10 / Forward)
Samuel Eto’o :- Chelsea
- Yearly Income :- €5.5M
- Weekly Income :- €75,000
Samuel Eto’o Fils (born 10 March 1981) is a Cameroonian footballer who plays as a striker for English Premier League club Chelsea. Eto’o trained at Kadji Sports Academy.He also holds a Spanish passport, enabling him not to count among the “foreign players” working in the European Union.Eto’o scored over 100 goals in five seasons with Barcelona, and is also the record holder in number of appearances by an African player in La Liga.
In 2010, he became the first player to win two European continental trebles following his back-to-back achievements with Barcelona and Inter. He is the second player to have ever scored in two separate UEFA Champions League finals and the fourth player, after Marcel Desailly, Paulo Sousa, and Gerard Piqué, to have won the UEFA Champions League two years in a row with different teams.
- Born: March 10, 1981 (age 33), Douala, Cameroon
- Spouse: Georgette Eto’o (m. 2007)
- Current teams: Chelsea F.C. (#29 / Forward), Cameroon national football team (Forward)
- Children: Lynn Eto’o, Siena Eto’o, Maelle Eto’o, Etienne Eto’o, Annie Eto’o
- Nationality: Spanish, Cameroonian
Mikel John Obi :- Chlesea
- Yearly Income :- €4.5M
- Weekly Income :- €65,000
John Michael Nchekwube Obinna (born 22 April 1987), commonly known as Mikel John Obi, John Obi Mikel or John Mikel Obi, is a Nigerian footballer, who plays as a midfielder for English club Chelsea and the Nigeria national team.
- Born: April 22, 1987 (age 26), Jos, Nigeria
- Full name: John Michael Nchekwube Obinna
- Parents: Michael Obi
- Siblings: Joel Obi
- Current teams: Chelsea F.C. (#12 / Midfielder), Nigeria national football team (Midfielder)
Michael Essien :- Chelsea
- Yearly Income :- €4M
- Weekly Income :- €60,000
Michael Kojo Essien (born 3 December 1982) is a Ghanaian footballer who plays for Milan and the Ghana national team. He is a midfielder who has often been touted as a box-to-box midfielder for his ability to exert energy in supporting offensive and defensive play and for his tough tackling style which has earned him the nickname “The Bison”. Essien can also play as a defender, both on the right of defence and in the centre.
- Born: December 3, 1982 (age 31), Accra, Ghana
- Height: 1.77 m
- Weight: 85 kg
- Current teams: A.C. Milan (#15 / Midfielder), Ghana national football team (Midfielder)
- Parents: James Essien, Aba Gyandoh
Christopher Samba :- QPR
- Yearly Income :- €5M
- Weekly Income :- €65,000
Veijeany Christopher Samba (born 28 March 1984), known as Christopher Samba, is a professional footballer who plays as a defender for FC Dynamo Moscow in the Russian Premier League. Born in France, he plays for the Congo national team.
- Born: March 28, 1984 (age 29), Créteil, France
- Weight: 100 kg
- Height: 1.93 m
- Current teams: Congo national football team (Defender), FC Dynamo Moscow (#84 / Defender)
- Nationality: Congo, French
Kolo Toure :- Liverpool
- Yearly Income :- €3.2M
- Weekly Income :- €50,000
Kolo Habib Toure (born 19 March 1981) is an Ivorian footballer who plays for Liverpool and the Ivory Coast national team as a central defender. He previously played for Manchester City and Arsenal, where he was a member of the famous ‘invincibles’ side of the 2003–04 season. He is the elder brother of Manchester City’s Yaya Touré and Al-Nasr Benghazi’s Ibrahim Toure.
- Born: March 19, 1981 (age 33), Bouake, Côte d’Ivoire
- Height: 1.78 m
- Spouse: Awo Toure
- Siblings: Yaya Toure, Ibrahim Toure
- Current teams: Liverpool F.C. (#4 / Defender), Ivory Coast national football team (Defender)
Seydou Keita :- Dalian Aerbin
- Yearly Income :- €3M
- Weekly Income :- €40,000
Seydou Keita (born 16 January 1980) is a Malian professional footballer who plays for Valencia CF in Spain. A versatile midfielder, he can operate as both a central or defensive midfielder, and played most notably with Lens (five seasons) and Barcelona (four), winning 14 titles with the latter.Keita represented Malian national team since the age of 20, appearing with it at six Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, and also holds a French passport.
- Born: January 16, 1980 (age 34), Bamako, Mali
- Height: 1.83 m
- Spouse: Zubaida Johnson
- Current teams: Dalian Aerbin F.C. (#20 / Midfielder), Mali national football team (Midfielder)
- Children: Mohamed Keita
Frederic Kanoute :- Beijing Guoan
- Yearly Income :- €2M
- Weekly Income :- €35,000
Frederic Oumar Kanoute (born 2 September 1977) is a retired professional footballer who played for several top-tier clubs within UEFA, enjoying his greatest success with La Liga side Sevilla FC. Kanouté was named the 2007 African Footballer of the Year, the first player born outside Africa to win the award.Kanouté began his career with Lyon in France before moving to West Ham of the Premier League in 2000.
After a spell at their London rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Kanoute moved to Spanish club Sevilla where he won two consecutive UEFA Cups in 2006 and 2007 in addition to various other European and domestic honours and remains the club’s highest-scoring foreign player. He joined Beijing Goan in June 2012.
- Born: September 2, 1977 (age 36), Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon, France
- Height: 1.93 m
- Weight: 82 kg
- Spouse: Fatima Kanoute
- Current team: Beijing Guoan F.C. (#11 / Forward)