The Top 10 Richest Oil Tycoons in the World 2016
The oil-rich Middle East, in particular Saudi Arabia, is now famed for its fields of black gold. However, the success of the Middle Eastern oil industries has been a contributing factor in political unrest and battles for the precious resources: from the Gulf Wars to the more recent ousting of Gaddafi in Libya, turmoil in the Middle East reveals the extent to which this limited natural resource is still contested asset.
The real game changer in the world’s oil industry in recent years, though, has undoubtedly been the privatisation of the oil industry in the largest country in the world – Russia. The fall of the Soviet Union meant big business for those with their eye on this liquid asset and there were many in Russia who pounced on the prize as soon as it became available. The result is that, today, the majority of the world’s oil tycoons are not from the Rockefeller or Hunt families but are instead former Soviet civil servants who learnt about the industry from the inside out.
In spite of concerns that the use of oil is both harmful to the environment and unsustainable in the long run, there seems to be no end to the wealth coming from these oil rich-states. Our look at the top ten wealthiest oil tycoons demonstrates this shift to the East but there are still a couple of surprises. With oligarchs who model themselves on The Godfather and owners of some of the largest houses in the world, our the Top 10 Richest Oil Tycoons in the World 2016.
Charles and David Koch:-
Brother’s Charles and David Koch made their money the old-fashioned way: they inherited it. Their company, Koch Industries, was founded by their father Fred who developed a new method for refining oil into gasoline. While Fred and his wife Mary had four sons, it is David and Charles who today head up Koch Industries which is now the second largest private company in the United States, with sales of $115 billion annually. Such fame does come at a price however, and the Koch brothers are certainly the most famous – or rather the most infamous – on our list.
As life-long libertarians, the brothers are known for their generous donations to many a right-wing cause and have no problem sharing these views with the media. An interview from Charles Koch to the Wall Street Journal in 2006 dismissed other billionaire moguls’ efforts in philanthropy. The brothers vehemently campaigned against the election of Barack Obama to the White House, donating millions of dollars to his Republican rival Mitt Romney – eliciting, we’re sure, many puns on their surname from the Democrats.
- Net Worth : $34 Billion
Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani is an Indian business magnate who is the Chairman, Managing Director and largest shareholder of Reliance Industries Limited, a Fortune Global 500 company and India’s second most valuable company by market value.
- Net Worth : $21.5 Billion
- Born: April 19, 1957 (age 56), Aden, Yemen
- Spouse: Nita Ambani (m. 1984)
- Siblings: Anil Ambani, Nina Kothari, Deepti Salgaonka
- Parents: Kokilaben Ambani, Dhirubhai Ambani
- Children: Akash Ambani, Isha Ambani, Anant Ambani
- Structures: Antilia
Mikhail Maratovich Fridman is a Ukrainian-Russian business oligarch. Fridman graduated from Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys in 1986. In the 1980s, as a student, Fridman scalped theater tickets on a large scale.
- Net Worth : $16.5 Billion
- Born: April 21, 1964 (age 49), Lviv, Ukraine
- Spouse: Olga Fridman
- Education: Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (1986)
- Office: Member of Russia’s Public Chamber since 2005
- Children: Katerina Fridman, Larisa Fridman
Viktor Felixovich Vekselberg is a Ukrainian-born Russian business oligarch. He is the owner and president of Renova Group, a large Russian conglomerate.
- Net Worth : $15.1 Billion
- Born: April 14, 1957 (age 56), Drohobych
- Spouse: Marina Vekselberg
- Education: Moscow Transportation Engineering Institute (1979)
- Children: Irina Vekselberg, Aleksandr Vekselberg
- Movies: 1612
- Parents: Feliks Solomonovich Vekselberg, Elena Evtropovna Morozova
Vagit Alekperov is an Azerbaijani and Russian businessman and currently a President of the leading Russian oil company LUKOIL
- Net Worth : $14.8 Billion
- Born: September 1, 1950 (age 63), Baku, Azerbaijan
- Education: Azerbaijan Oil and Chemistry Institute (1974), Azerbaijan State Oil Academy
Mohammed Hussein Al Amoudi:-
Sheikh Mohammed Hussein Ali Al Amoudi is a Saudi Arabian/Ethiopian businessman and billionaire who lives in Ethiopia and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Net Worth : $13.5 Billion
- Born: July 21, 1946 (age 67), Dessie, Ethiopia
- Spouse: Sofia Saleh Al Amoudi
German Borisovich Khan is a Ukrainian-Russian businessman of Jewish descent. His business interests are focused in the oil and gas industries. He studied at the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys.
- Net Worth : $10.5 Billion
- Born: October 26, 1962 (age 51), Kiev, Ukraine
- Education: Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys
Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich is a Russian businessman and the main owner of the private investment company Millhouse LLC. He is known outside Russia as the owner of Chelsea Football Club, an English Premier League football team.
- Net Worth : $10.2 Billion
- Born: October 24, 1966 (age 47), Saratov, Russia
- Nationality: Russian
- Spouse: Irina Malandina (m. 1991–2007), Olga Yurevna Lysova (m. 1987–1990)
- Children: Arkadiy Abramovich, Anna Abramovich, Ilya Abramovich, Arina Abramovich, Sofia Abramovich
- Parents: Irina Vasilevna Abramovich, Arkadiy Abramovich
- Education: School No. 232 (1974–1983), Ukhta School No. 2, more
George B. Kaiser:-
George B. Kaiser is an American businessman. He is the Chairman of BOK Financial Corporation. He is among the top 100 richest people in the world and one of the top 50 American philanthropists.
- Net Worth : $10 Billion
- Born: July 29, 1942 (age 71), Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
- Spouse: Myra Kaiser
- Education: Harvard Business School, Harvard College, Harvard University
Alexey Viktorovich Kuzmichev or Kousmichoff is a Russian businessman. He is one of the founders and controlling owners of investment conglomerate, Alfa Group.
- Net Worth : $8.2 Billion
- Born: October 15, 1962 (age 51), Kirov, Russia
- Education: Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys