Very few artists in the world are privileged enough to amass vast amounts of money in their lifetime. This is in stark contrast to quite a vast number of artists who are condemned to spend their entire lives below the poverty line and support themselves with odd jobs. Recently art enthusiasts from all over the world gathered in London on the occasion of the yearly Frieze Art Lovers event in order to catch a glimpse of the world’s wealthiest artist.According to several well-placed sources, the man to emerge at the top of the list is world renowned English artist Damien Hirst whose total net worth is estimated to be around $350 million.
The famous British artist is internationally renowned for his provocative and unique artworks.Some would agree that being an artist is not a lucrative job. Lucky are those few famous artists who have amassed a huge amount of cash through their artwork. Majority of the artists are criticized for wasting their time in the field and end up living below the poverty line.As revealed by Wealth-X, an intelligence provider on ultra-high net worth individuals, British artist Damien Hirst is the wealthiest artist in the world.
5 Richest Artists in the World 2016
Damien Hirst :-
Damien Steven Hirst is an English artist, entrepreneur and art collector. He is the most prominent member of the group known as the Young British Artists, who dominated the art scene in the UK during the 1990s.Damien Hirst is famous for his provocative, beautiful and meretricious artworks such as dead animals preserved in formaldehyde. He is the first ever living artist to sell a complete show at a Sotheby’s auction in 2008.
The auction, dubbed “Beautiful Inside my Head Forever,” raised $198 million, beating the previous record for a one-artist auction. The 25 year old now has been dubbed the Young British Artist, with a net worth of $350 million. His masterpiece, “For the Love of God,” the diamond encrusted skull was priced at $100 million.
- Net Worth :- $350 Million
- Born: June 7, 1965 (age 48), Bristol, United Kingdom
- Spouse: Maia Norman (m. 1992–2012)
- Periods: Contemporary art, Young British Artists
- Education: Goldsmiths College, Allerton Grange School, University of London, Leeds College of Art and Design
- Music group: Fat Les
Jasper Johns :-
Jasper Johns, Jr. is an American contemporary artist who works primarily in painting and printmaking.Jasper Johns is an American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor with a net worth of $210 million. His painting False Start was bought by private collectors for $80 million in 2006 which is the “most expensive work by a living artist.” His work Three Flags was purchased by the Whitney Museum for a million dollars.
- Net Worth :- $210 Million
- Born: May 15, 1930 (age 83), Augusta, Georgia, United States
- Nationality: American
- Artwork: Three Flags, 0 through 9, Numbers in Color, False Start, more
- Periods: Mixed media, Modern art, Pop art, Neo-Dada, Abstract expressionism
- Awards: Presidential Medal of Freedom, Wolf Prize in Arts, National Medal of Arts
- Education: Parsons The New School for Design, University of South Carolina
Andrew Vicari :-
Andrew Vicari is a Welsh painter working in France who has established a career painting portraits of the rich and famous. Despite being largely unknown in his own country, as of 2004 Vicari was Britain’s richest living painter.This unknown artist who lives in France has a net worth of $210 million. He has established himself as a portraitist to the upper class, his artworks selling from $6 million to $20 million. His trademark work is marked by its swirling Niemanesque use of color.
- Net Worth :- $210 Million
- Born: April 20, 1938 (age 75), Port Talbot, United Kingdom
- Education: Slade School of Fine Art
- Artwork: La Marianne, Lune Rouge, La Circassienne, more
Jeff Koons :-
Jeffrey “Jeff” Koons is an American artist known for his reproductions of banal objects—such as balloon animals produced in stainless steel with mirror finish surfaces. He lives and works in both New York City and his hometown of York, Pennsylvania.This American pop artist has a net worth of $100 million. Peter Schjeldahl of The New Yorker described his works as “uncannily mediocre paintings suggest an insensibility in two dimensions that is as amazing, in its way, as his genius in three.” Some of his works include his balloon dogs, floating basketballs, flowering “Puppy” – all considered as Disneylike. Jeff Koons also created a studio that helps him fabricate these massive and expensive works at an impressive clip.
- Net Worth :- $100 million
- Born: January 21, 1955 (age 59), York, Pennsylvania, United States
- Period: Contemporary art
- Spouse: Ilona Staller (m. 1991–1998), Justine Wheeler Koons
- Artwork: Balloon Dog, Woman in Tub, Travel Bar, more
- Children: Ludwig Maximillian Koons, Shannon Rodgers, Eric Koons, Blake Koons, Scarlet Koons, Sean Kyah Koons, Kurt Koons
- Education: School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Maryland Institute College of Art
David Choe :-
David Choe is an American painter, muralist, graffiti artist and graphic novelist of Korean descent.David Choe has a net worth of $100 million and was commissioned by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg to paint murals on the walls of Facebook’s office. He opted to be paid for $60,000 not in cash but in Facebook stock, a move that gave him a significant windfall at the company’s IPO in 2012.
- Net Worth :- $100 Million
- Born: April 21, 1976 (age 37), Los Angeles, California, United States
- Education: California College of the Arts
- Movies and TV shows: Dirty Hands: The Art & Crimes of David Choe, We Are the Strange, The Vice Guide to Travel